Sunday, April 1, 2007

Traffic Jam

I promised an explaination for why we were stuck in a traffic jam in Atlanta for 2 1/2 hours. It was all for the sake of vanity! I recently ordered some new garb for the faire season. Some of it is being custom made and I won't have it before mid June. So, when another vendor emailed that my order was ready and she just wanted to verify the delivery address, I was jumping for joy that I wouldn't have to wait weeks! I paid for Express mail delivery so I could have my new chemise, bloomers, and skirt to bring to Florida with me and wear this weekend at BARF. Our departure was delayed because I had to wait for the package to arrive and, since we were waiting, DH decided to get new tires on the car. We ended up leaving GR around 2:30 Thursday afternoon and only drove as far as Florence, KY before stopping for the night. We left Florence around 7:30 am Friday but DH did not sleep well because the hotel had been so noisy. We stopped at a rest area later in the morning so that he could take a nap but he couldn't relax and fall asleep. After crossing in to Georgia, we stopped at an antiques shop so that I could stretch my legs and I took my time so that he got about a 45 minute nap. I didn't want to be behind the wheel driving through Atlanta and I didn't want him to be sleepy! On past trips we've always driven straight through the city rather than taking the bypass. This time that was a mistake! We didn't hit Atlanta until around 3:30 on Friday afternoon and, even in the HOV lane, it was bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic! It was nearly 6:00 before traffic was moving smoothly. By then we all desperately needed to get the heck out of the car so we stopped for dinner. With all the accumulated delays we didn't arrive at our hotel in Tampa until 2:00 am.
On the plus side, I did enjoy watching spring unfold as we passed through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia. (It was dark when we got to Florida LOL) At first we saw a few flowering trees here and there. The further south we got the greener the grass was and the more flowers we saw.

Yesterday (Saturday) I let DH and DD sleep in until nearly 10:00. We spent the afternoon at the Bay Area Renaissance Festival were we caught up with some friends from Michigan and met a few other members of the R/F forums. After a refreshing swim in the pool, we ate dinner in our suite and spent a relaxing evening just hanging out and watching tv.

Today's plan is to pack up our stuff, spend a few hours at BARF, then move on to our hotel in Orlando.

BTW- Wally World is a referrence to National Lampoon's Vacation, not Walmart! LOL

No comments: